With the low temperatures rolling in, it’s a perfect time to begin rediscovering warm and healthy soups. Pisca Andina is a soup typically served in the Andes region in Venezuela. It’s light, nutritious and full of good protein.
• 8 cups chicken stock
• 6 medium to large potatoes, cubed
• ⅓ cup scallions, chopped
• ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, grated
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 cup low fat milk
• 2 cups queso fresco, crumbled
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 6 eggs (optional)
• 2 cups chicken, shredded (optional)
1. Chop all ingredients.
2. Add cubed potatoes to chicken stock and bring to a boil.
3. Add garlic, cilantro, scallions and red pepper flakes. Boil until potatoes are fork tender (about 10 minutes).
4. Add milk and stir in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 bowls and serve.
5. If you’re serving for breakfast, continue boiling and add eggs one at a time.
6. For lunch or dinner, add shredded chicken and cook until heated through.