Low fat, low sodium, low cholesterol = Good for your heart!
• 1 pound peeled frozen yucca
• 1 tablespoon olive oil + 2 tablespoons
• 1 large spanish onion, sliced
• 1 green pepper, sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• ½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a pot add yucca and enough water to cover. Bring water to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Drain yucca and cut lengthwise into wedges (like steak fries), discarding the thin woody core.
3. Spread yucca wedges on cookie sheet, and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
4. While yucca is baking, prepare your peppers and onions. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add onions and peppers. Sauté for three minutes.
5. Add garlic, salt and oregano and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Arrange yucca on a serving platter and spread peppers and onions mixture on top.
7. Serve immediately.
Tip – goes nicely with a beef stew.
Makes 6 side dishes.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.