Having eggs are a great start to your day. They contain protein which help curb cravings and are low in low cholesterol. This recipe is flexible in the sense that you could add in your favorite veggies, cheeses, etc. and it’s a fun option to serve up a brunch crowd.
• Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
• 4 large eggs
• ¼ cup 1% milk
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch of salt
• 4-5 thin chorizo slices, chopped
• ⅓ cup queso fresco , grated
• 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until somewhat foamy.
2. Mix in chorizo, cheese, cilantro and chives.
3. Spray mini muffin tin with nonstick spray and fill each muffin cup a little more than half way.
4. Bake until egg is set and lightly browned about 10 minutes.
5. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
Makes 24 mini frittatas.
Chorizo Slicing Tip: For easier chopping, freeze chorizo for about 30 minutes. Then roll each slice and chop.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.