The Latest on the stabbing of three people in Manchester (all times local):

8: 15 p.m.

Police in the English city of Manchester are quizzing a suspect and searching a house for clues about what they call the "terror-related" stabbings of three people at a train station on New Year's Eve.

The attack Monday night by a knife-wielding man yelling Islamic slogans brought terrorism back to Manchester after a 19-month hiatus. It took place at a key transport hub right next to the Manchester Arena, where 22 people were killed in an attack on an Ariana Grande concert in 2017.

Police say Tuesday that Manchester's latest stabbing attack left a man and a woman hospitalized with "very serious" but not life-threatening injuries and a man in custody.

A British Transport Police sergeant who was stabbed in the shoulder was released after an overnight hospital stay.


12:20 p.m.

British Prime Minister Theresa May says she is thinking of the victims of a New Year's Eve attack at a rail station in Manchester.

She tweeted Tuesday that "My thoughts are with those who were injured in the suspected terrorist attack in Manchester last night."

The prime minister also thanked the emergency services "for their courageous response" to the attack, which started shortly before 9 p.m. on Monday.

Two people are still being treated for knife wounds in the hospital. A third person who was injured has been released.


12:10 p.m.

Police in the English city of Manchester say they are treating the New Year's Eve stabbing of three people as a terrorist incident.

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said Tuesday two people suffered very serious injuries in the attack.

A police sergeant who was stabbed in the shoulder has been released from the hospital.

Hopkins said the police investigation is continuing. He praised the "bravery" of four police officers who subdued the suspect at Manchester's Victoria Station.

The suspect has been arrested but not yet charged or identified.

An eyewitness said he was chanting Islamic slogans during the stabbings


10:10 a.m.

British counterterrorism police are questioning a man accused of stabbing three people at a Manchester railway station on New Year's Eve.

Police said Tuesday two people were taken to a hospital for treatment with knife injuries and a British Transport Police officer was stabbed in the shoulder and briefly hospitalized. He has since been released.

The incident happened very close to Manchester Arena, where a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a concert in 2017.

A witness has said the man with the knife shouted "Allah" during the incident but officials have not confirmed that.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts said the incident is "not ongoing" and there is "currently no intelligence to suggest that there is any wider threat."