One of Seven Oil Workers Rescued After Rig Mishap Dies In Mexico Hospital

One of seven oil workers rescued after drifting in the Gulf of Mexico for three days has died.

Mexico's state oil company told the Associated Press that a Bangladeshi oil worker died in the hospital. An official for Petroleos Mexicanos said Kham Nadimuzzaman of Bangladesh, who arrived at the hospital in grave condition, died Sunday night.

Nadimuzzaman was among seven oil workers who were found alive Sunday, three days after evacuating their disabled rig in a tropical storm and escaping in an enclosed life raft.

Two bodies also were found but have yet to be identified. Rescuers are searching for one worker of the original 10 who remains missing.

The condition of the two American survivors -- Jeremy Parfait and Ted Derise, Jr., both of Louisiana -- remains unknown. A family member of Derise's declined to comment on his condition when contacted Monday by, saying only that he was alive.

Pemex had identified the other survivors as Mexicans Ruben Velasquez, Eleaquin Lopez, Luis Escobar and Ruben Lopez Villalobos.

They were found 51 miles off the coast of the gulf state of Campeche by the ship Bourbon Artavaze and taken by helicopter to the Campeche port city of Ciudad del Carmen, where they were admitted to a Pemex regional hospital.

The fate of the other two Americans, who have been identified previously as Craig Myers and Nick Reed, also of Louisiana, was not clear late Sunday.

The oil company and the Mexican Navy, which assisted in the search and rescue, provided no other immediate details. It was not known how the survivors and bodies were found or whether they were still in the lifeboat. There was also no word on the condition of the survivors.

All were working for Houston-based Geokinetics Inc. on a liftboat owned by Trinity Liftboat Services based in New Iberia, La. All four Americans were from the New Iberia area, including Reed, who is the son of liftboat company owner Randy Reed.

The oil workers called for help Thursday afternoon in the middle of Tropical Storm Nate, which disabled their vessel, the Trinity II, a 94-foot, 185-ton liftboat, which can lower legs to the sea floor and then elevate itself above the water level. This one was being used as a recording vessel and housing for the crew, and it was in waters about 25 feet deep.

They abandoned the liftboat about 8 miles off shore of the port of Frontera in southeastern Mexican state of Tabasco.

Pemex and the Mexican Navy led the search by air and sea, which intensified Saturday as the storm moved west toward the coast of Veracruz. A dozen fishermen who disappeared aboard two shrimp boats on Friday in the gulf during the storm.

Pemex said the search continued late Sunday with four boats, four Pemex helicopters and two airplanes making overflights.

Nate weakened to a tropical depression and then a "remnant low" late Sunday over Mexico's Gulf coast, where officials opened shelters as a precaution, but said the storm was having little impact.

Nate made landfall as a tropical storm on Sunday north of Barra de Nautla in the state of Veracruz, where Gov. Javier Duarte said there were no reports of damage or injuries and rivers remained below risk level.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said that by Sunday night Nate's winds had weakened to 30 mph winds and it would not release any more advisories on the storm.'s Cristina Corbin and the Associated Press contributed to this report.