MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE – The Mozambican government says the country's main opposition party, Renamo, boycotted talks with the government aimed at resolving the country's political crisis.
The government's chief negotiator, Jose Pacheco, said the talks, set for Monday in the capital, Maputo, were meant to discuss the disarmament of Renamo fighters, their integration into the Mozambican army and the current electoral law.
He said the former rebel movement said it will return to the talks if the government accepts the presence of Mozambican and foreign observers as facilitators.
Pacheco said Renamo also demanded that the National Elections Commission must only include members of the Frelimo party and Renamo.
Renamo boycotted last month's municipal polls and threatens to boycott the general elections on October 15 next year, if the government does not accept its demands.