Elizabeth Carrion: Peruvian Baked Chicken
This particular chicken recipe is bursting with flavor. Traditionally, the chicken is prepared with the skin on but in this recipe, it’s been removed in order to keep the chicken low in fat and calories.
1. ⅓ cup white vinegar
2. 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken stock
3. 3 tablespoons canola oil
4. 2 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
5. 2 tablespoons paprika
6. 1 ½ tablespoons cumin
7. ½ teaspoon dried oregano
8. 2 teaspoons black pepper
9. 1 teaspoon salt
10. 4 chicken leg quarters (between 4-5 pounds)
11. juice of 1 lemon
12. cold water
1. Half fill a large pot with cold water and lemon juice. Then prepare chicken by removing the skin and any excess fat and place in the lemon water. Set aside.
2. Using a dish large enough to accommodate chicken, combine first nine ingredients until it forms a paste.
3. Place chicken in dish and coat completely with spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place chicken in baking pan. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake for two hours.
5. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
6. Serve with sides such as rice and beans with broccoli.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.
Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino