Romanian woman dies after accidentally catching fire during surgery

A Romanian woman with pancreatic cancer has died after she was badly burned last week during a surgical procedure, according to reports.

Surgeons at a Bucharest hospital had treated the 66-year-old patient with an alcohol-based disinfectant on Dec. 22 before using an electric scalpel that caused combustion. The patient ignited “like a torch,” wrote Romanian politician Emanuel Ungureanu on his Facebook page.

A woman has died after she was set on fire during surgery at a hospital in Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest.

A woman has died after she was set on fire during surgery at a hospital in Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest. (Google Maps)

A nurse reportedly doused the patient in a bucket of water to put out the fire. The woman suffered burns to 40 percent of her body and she died a week later, BBC reported.

Deputy Minister Horatiu Moldovan said the “surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel.”

Ungureanu filed a criminal complaint to the general prosecutor’s office Monday so that “those who did wrong in this case can bear the consequences of the law.”

ROMANIA’S TOP COP FIRED OVER BUMBLED RESPONSE TO CALLS FOR HELP FROM KIDNAPPED GIRL

The case has shined a light on Romania’s dilapidated healthcare system, which is beset by outdated equipment, a shortage of doctors and multiple scandals.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

An investigation is still ongoing into a 2015 nightclub fire that killed 64 people. A former health minister is accused of delaying or preventing burn victims from being treated abroad, causing many to die in the country’s rundown hospitals.