Toronto, Canada – MADRID (Reuters) - Spaniard Rafa Nadal will be out of action for two weeks because of a minor tear to a tendon in his right knee, doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro said in a statement on Friday after completing a scan on the player in Barcelona.
Nadal will undergo treatment before gradually returning to training over the following two weeks, and has pulled out of the Rotterdam tournament due to start on February 8.
"As I said in Melbourne after the game... I knew the injury wasn't the same as the one I suffered last year," Nadal said in the statement.
"I am feeling well and am only thinking about how long it will take me to recover. I am disappointed to be missing the Rotterdam tournament. It is an event I would like to have won as I nearly did last year.
"I'm not overly worried about my ranking... all I want to do is to feel good on the court again, something I had achieved in Abu Dhabi, Doha and Melbourne where I was competing to a high standard."
Nadal missed almost two months of the season last year with knee problems.
(Writing by Mark Elkington; Editing by Justin Palmer)