El Paso police pulled over a convoy of people demonstrating against what they called the “invasion” at the U.S.-Mexico border after authorities were alerted that a demonstrator had threatened someone who opposed their protest.
The convoy contained about 10 cars and was stopped on Sunday night, according to the El Paso Times.
Authorities said a caller alleged that someone who followed the convoy and was a pro-immigrant activist had been threatened with a gun.
The newspaper said the allegation contained inconsistencies.
Police spokesman Det. Mike Baranyay said members of the convoy said that the activist tried to run them off the road. Baranyay said no one was arrested and the convoy was then allowed to continue, but that the police continue to investigate the allegations.
An activist who supports immigrants said he followed the convoy to see if its members were going to hold a rally against immigrants who have been crossing the border in rising numbers in the last year.
The man, identified by the newspaper as Miguel Juarez, alleged that someone traveling with the convoy got of a vehicle and pointed a rifle at him, asking if he was following the group.
The newspaper said that convoy members denied Juarez’s allegations.
The organizer of the convoy, Eric Odom, told the El Paso Times that someone followed them and tried to force them to pull over.
"As you can see, there's soccer moms with American flags (in the convoy). That's why they are going to let us go," Odom said.
The El Paso Times said the so-called Border Convoy has been streaming video of its tour from Murrieta, Calif. To McAllen, Texas.
The convoy is expected to end Aug. 9.
Tens of thousands of immigrants have illegally crossed the border into Texas in the last year, including some 60,000 minors, most from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. The trio of nations has become one of the most violent regions in the world in recent years, with swaths of all three countries under the control of drug traffickers and street gangs that rob, rape and extort ordinary citizens with impunity.
In recent weeks the number of children being apprehended daily has fallen by roughly half, but White House officials said seasonal patterns or other factors unrelated to the administration’s efforts may be to thank for some of the decline.
Many Americans say the Obama administration should process the immigrants quickly and return them to their homelands. Others, however, said the children, in particularly, should have ample time and resources to present their case and that the administration should act in their best interests.
"El Paso is the safest city in the nation," said Fernando Garcia, executive director of Border Network for Human Rights. "It's a welcoming city ... No racism, no xenophobia. That message is not welcomed."
"They have the right to express themselves,” Garcia said of the members of the convoy. “But what we are saying is that they are bringing a message of discrimination, a message that is anti-children, anti-immigrant and at the end of the day, racists. So I think we are going to express ourselves saying they are not welcomed in El Paso."