Cleveland's James passes on 2010 slam dunk competition

NEW YORK (Reuters) - LeBron James, who for years has gained a reputation for his aerial theatrics, will not participate in this year's NBA All-Star weekend's Slam Dunk competition, the league said on Monday.

James, a fan-favorite who has never participated in the competition, previously said he would consider taking part in the February 13 event in Dallas. But the Cleveland forward was not on the list of participants for the high-flying competition.

The NBA said Nate Robinson of the New York Knicks, who won last year's event, will compete against Lakers guard Shannon Brown and Charlotte forward Gerald Wallace.

Eric Gordon of the Los Angeles Clippers and DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors will compete for the fourth spot during a "dunk-in" competition on February 12.

(Writing by Frank Pingue in Toronto; editing by Pritha Sarkar)