An enormous explosion shocked students and staff at the University of Lyon in southeastern France on Thursday morning, leaving three people injured.
The ensuing fire is now under control, the University said in a statement. Construction is said to have caused the explosion, which took place on the roof terrace of the Mendel science building around 9:30 am at the La Doua campus in Villeurbanne and was caught on video.
Police say large plumes of smoke and fire were accidentally caused by the renovation works, which led to a gas bottle exploding, according to The Independent. A number of residents caught the moment the loud boom shook the small campus.
The building and surrounding area was immediately evacuated when the fire commenced, and the building will reportedly be shut down for the remainder of the day as fire crews work to secure the situation.
The University is now working to redistribute the classes held in the science building to different areas of the campus.
Universite de Lyon thanked all the firefighters and police officers for their hard work in ensuring the safety of students and staff during the terrifying incident.
The explosion comes just five days after a gas leak at a Paris bakery killed four people, including two firefighters, and injured another 47 leaving 10 in critical condition.