On this day, June 15 ...
2018: President Trump announces a 25 percent tariff on up to $50 billion in Chinese imports.
Also on this day:
- 1864: Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton signs an order establishing a military burial ground which became Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
- 1904: More than 1,000 people die when fire erupted aboard the steamboat General Slocum in New York's East River.
- 1934: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs an act making the National Guard part of the U.S. Army in the event of war or national emergency.
- 1938: Johnny Vander Meer pitches his second consecutive no-hitter, leading the Cincinnati Reds to a 6-0 victory over the Brooklyn Dodgers in the first night game at Ebbets Field, four days after leaving the Boston Bees hitless by a score of 3-0.
- 1955: The United States and Britain sign a cooperation agreement concerning atomic information for "mutual defence purposes."
- 1969: The variety show "Hee Haw" debuts on CBS-TV.
- 1992: Vice President Dan Quayle, relying on a faulty flash card, erroneously instructsTrenton, N.J., sixth-grade student William Figueroa to spell "potato" as "potatoe" during a spelling bee.
- 1994: Israel and the Vatican establish formal diplomatic relations.
- 1995: O.J. Simpson tries on the gloves, said to have been worn by the killer, at his trial, and they appear not to fit.
- 2014: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accuses the Hamas militant group of kidnapping three Israeli teenagers.
- 2018: Theranos founder and former CEO Elizabeth Holmes is charged by the DOJ for wire fraud schemes.
- 2018: Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is jailed to await two criminal trials; a federal judge revokes his house arrest over allegations of witness tampering in Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation. (Manafort would be sentenced to more than seven years in prison on federal charges.)
- 2018: Rene Boucher, a neighbor of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, is sentenced to 30 days in prison for tackling Paul while he was out doing yard work at his Kentucky home.