On this day, Aug. 16 ...
1948: Babe Ruth dies of cancer at age 53.
Also on this day:
- 1777: The Revolutionary War battle of Bennington, Vt., is won by Continental Army forces.
- 1858: A telegraphed message from Britain's Queen Victoria to President James Buchanan is transmitted over the recently laid trans-Atlantic cable.
- 1962: The Beatles fire their original drummer, Pete Best, replacing him with Ringo Starr.
- 1977: Elvis Presley dies at his Graceland estate in Memphis, Tenn., at age 42
- 1991: Pope John Paul II begins the first-ever papal visit to Hungary.
- 2000: Delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles formally nominate Al Gore for president.
- 2009: Usain Bolt breaks another world record, winning the 100-meter race in 9.58 seconds at the world championships in Berlin.
- 2012: Ecuador grants political asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
- 2018: Aretha Franklin, the "Queen of Soul," dies of pancreatic cancer at age 76.