Four manhole covers explode after underground electrical fire

Fire officials in Massachusetts said an underground fire caused multiple manhole covers to explode Sunday night, while multiple homes and businesses were left in the dark.

According to the Boston Globe, Malden Fire Department assistant chief Bill Sullivan said an underground electrical fire sent four manhole covers flying in the air between noon and 3 p.m. Smoke and flames poured out of the manholes and some of the flames topped 10 feet high.

National Grid spent the entire day working to repair the damage caused by the fire and tried to restore power to the homes and businesses that surround the area. Officials believe the fire was caused by a faulty underground cable, Fox 25 Boston reported.

More on this...

No injuries were reported.

Mary-Leah Assad, the utility’s spokeswoman, told the Globe, that about 88 customers were initially without power and that by 7 p.m. the number trickled down to 70.

Workers told the station that they had hoped for power to return around 8 p.m., but it may not return until early Monday morning.

Click for more from the Boston Globe.