RAMALLAH, West Bank – Real Madrid says it has invited a young Palestinian boy who is the sole survivor of a West Bank arson attack last summer to visit the team and meet star player Cristiano Ronaldo.
Team spokesman Raul Serrano Quevedo said Wednesday that the team agreed to host the boy after receiving a request from the Palestinian Embassy. He said details are still being worked out, and it's not clear when the boy, Ahmad Dawabshe, will visit.
Ahmad, who is five, is still recovering in an Israeli hospital from the July 31 fire that killed his 18-month-old brother and their parents. His family says it expects him to be discharged in three months.
Earlier this month, Israel charged two Jewish extremists in the arson.