Rangers top Blue Jackets in shootout

New York, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - After blowing a three-goal lead, the New York Rangers rebounded to beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3 in a shootout on Sunday.

Martin St. Louis scored two goals in regulation and added another in the shootout to extend New York's point streak to eight games. Kevin Hayes also tallied a goal for the Rangers and Rick Nash scored the game-winner in the shootout.

"We've got to be a lot better at home with a 3-0 lead," said Nash. "It seemed like we took our foot off the gas pedal."

The Rangers got 27 saves from Cam Talbot in regulation and overtime, and his poke check on Cam Atkinson's shootout attempt ended the game.

Curtis McElhinney made 34 saves, including six in overtime as the Blue Jackets finished their five-game road trip with a 2-2-1 record. Marko Dano and David Savard each scored, and Artem Anisimov added a goal and an assist.

Just a minute after the Rangers went up 3-0, Columbus responded to get back in the game. Dano was left open in the low slot and Nick Foligno set him up for a one-timer and his second goal of the season.

"The Dano goal gave us some life, gave us some energy," said Columbus coach Todd Richards. "I think from that point, we started to get our legs."

Anisimov pulled Columbus within a goal with less than two minutes to go in the second period. He carried the puck toward the net and after Talbot made the initial stop on a backhand shot, Anisimov swatted at the rebound twice before finally lighting the lamp.

The Rangers sat back to protect the one-goal lead in the final period and only recorded one shot on goal. They failed to protect that lead when Savard scored with less than five minutes remaining. Talbot was unable to stop Savard's slapshot despite having a clear lane to see the puck.

In overtime, New York got a power play opportunity but could not beat McElhinney. He had to stop a Nash shot from point-blank range on the power play, and Mats Zuccarello later ripped a one-timer from the slot but could not score.

St. Louis and Mark Letestu each scored in the opening round of the shootout, and J.T. Miller and Ryan Johansen were each denied by the goalpost in the second round. In the third, Nash snapped a shot past McElhinney and Talbot earned the win with his save on Atkinson.

Hayes opened the scoring six minutes into the game. Carl Hagelin scrambled to keep the puck in the zone when the Blue Jackets were trying to break out, and he set up Hayes who wristed the puck into the back of the net.

St. Louis gave the Rangers a two-goal lead just a few minutes later. The defense lost track of him crashing the net and Derek Stepan found him for a one-time shot from a sharp angle.

Just 1 1/2 minutes into the second period, St. Louis scored his second of the game. Ryan McDonagh made a cross-ice pass through the defense, and St. Louis just had to move to the puck to his forehand and shoot into the empty net.

Game Notes

New York's Derick Brassard lost his six-game point streak ... Zuccarello and Columbus' Matt Calvert each played in their 200th NHL game ... The Rangers improved to 26-0-1 when leading after two periods ... Foligno had two assists.