Deadly Spider Invades German Supermarket, Shuts Down Store

It's one of the world's most aggressive and dangerous spiders. Its bite can lead to pain, paralysis and even death. And having shut down a local supermarket, the arachnid may be wandering the streets of Bexbach, Germany.

While unpacking a crate of bananas, a supermarket employee was shocked to see a spider emerge from the box and scuttle under a shelf. Upon scouring the Internet for pictures of the creature, the employee reported that he had seen a Brazilian Wandering Spider -- one of the most dangerous spiders in the world.

Amy Stewart, the author of "Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects," cites the Brazilian Wandering Spider as one of her top five worst bugs, according to Spiegel Online. A bite doesn't just cause severe pain, but also leads to breathing problems, paralysis and even death.

After shutting down the supermarket and raising an unsuccessful search for the spider, the store was sprayed with poison. The supermarket will be reopened on Monday, and a police spokesman advised that "experts believe the spider should be dead."

But the spider's body has not yet been located -- and Bexbach residents should stay alert. The Brazilian Wandering Spider may be wandering still.

For more information, visit Spiegel Online.