New Jersey confirms second coronavirus death

Officials in New Jersey announced on Saturday the state's second death due to the novel coronavirus.

Gov. Phil Murphy said the individual was a "female in her 50s who was being treated at [CentraState Health] in Monmouth County."

"Please wash your hands frequently and practice social distancing. We will get through this together," he added.

On Tuesday, officials announced the state's first novel coronavirus-related death in a resident. The death involved a male in his 60s from Bergen County, but no other information regarding the resident was immediately available.

CORONAVIRUS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

"We are sad to report the first death in a case of COVID-19 in New Jersey," Murphy said in a press release. "Our prayers are with the family during this difficult time. We remain vigilant to doing all we can — across all levels of government — to protect the people of New Jersey."

Last week, multiple towns in New Jersey implemented a series of sweeping safety measures aimed at curbing the coronavirus outbreak, including canceling public events that exceed more than 250 people, among others.

As of Sunday morning, New Jersey has reported 69 cases of COVID-19.