This 4th of July, serve lean ground chicken breast burgers with savory ingredients that your guests will be sure to ask you for the recipe. And with a great veggie accompaniment consisting of corn, a great source of fiber, you can certainly stack the plate.
1. 1 pound ground white-meat chicken
2. ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
3. 1 medium Spanish (about 1 ⅓ cups) onion, finely chopped
4. 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
5. 1 egg white
6. 1 tablespoon olive oil
7. Sea salt
8. ground pepper
9. 4 deli-sliced chorizo (optional)
10. 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, chopped)
11. 1 red sweet pepper (peeled, seeded, chopped)
12. 1 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
13. 1 cup avocado (peeled, pitted, cubed)
14. ½ cup red onion (diced)
15. 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
16. ½ teaspoon sugar
17. ½ teaspoon cumin (ground)
18. Hot sauce (optional)
19. 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
20. 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
21. 1 lime, juiced
22. 3-4 ears of corn, charred
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, breadcrumbs, Spanish onion, celery, egg whites, and olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 equal patties and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the husks of the corn but leave the core so you have something to hold onto when cutting off the kernels.
- Grill the corn on a hot grill until slightly charred on all sides. Set aside to cool.
- For the avocado sauce, in a blender, place cucumber, ⅓ of sweet pepper, ½ cup of tomatoes, avocado, ¼ cup red onion, vinegar, sugar, cumin, hot sauce.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Over medium heat, grill chicken burgers about 6 minutes per side. While grilling, prepare corn succotash by combining, remaining sweet pepper, tomatoes, red onion, corn kernels, parsley, chili powder, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place burgers on toasted buns.
- Top with chorizo and avocado sauce.
- Serve with corn succotash.
Serves 4 (or 8 mini burgers).