The Justice Department investigation of George Zimmerman in the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin remains open, despite reports that charges won't be filed, a law enforcement official told Fox News.
“The investigation into the shooting is active and ongoing,” one Justice Department source told Fox News Channel.
A second Justice Department source said Wednesday “charges were unlikely,” however, adding that the evidence in the case was “pretty thin.”
The Washington Post reported Wednesday, citing three sources close to the matter, that Zimmerman is not expected to be charged due to insufficient evidence. The probe was opened two years ago following Martin’s high-profile shooting death in Sanford, Fla.
Martin, 17, was unarmed when he was fatally shot by Zimmerman, a former volunteer neighborhood watchman who said he killed the black teen in self-defense. The killing led to widespread protests across the country and elicited emotional responses from President Obama and other administration officials. Zimmerman was ultimately acquitted during a state trial.
Relatives of Martin accused Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, of racially profiling the teen and instigating the fight. Since the acquittal, Zimmerman has had several brushes with the law, most recently last month when he allegedly threatened a motorist in Florida. The unidentified man declined to press charges, police said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.