Joana Sainz, 30, was performing with the group, Super Hollywood Orchestra, at a festival in Las Berlanas, Spain Sunday evening when she was reportedly struck by a pyrotechnic device - a horrific scene that was caught on camera by fans.
Sainz can be seen dancing on stage when two large firework displays go off during the middle of the performance. The singer and dancer can be seen dropping to the floor after one of the devices explodes extremely close to her.
WARNING: DISTRESSING CONTENT
Her group mates can be seen rushing over to her aid.
One of the devices misfired into her stomach, according to the Daily Mirror, She was taken off stage and rushed to the Avila hospital where she was pronounced dead shortly before 2 a.m.
Local emergency services confirmed the incident took place at around 1:49 a.m. local time. A doctor and four nurses in the crowd reportedly ran to the young woman’s side to assist.
Prines 1SL, which put on the performance, issued a statement calling Sainz a “companion and friend.”
Isidro Lopez, a promoter with the group, told the Mirror that the device which may have malfunctioned is designed to only burn for 15-20 seconds and have been used for about five years with no previous incidents.
The city of Las Berlanas also issued a statement to Facebook confirming Sainz’s death and expressing its condolences for her family.
The group described Sainz as a dancer and choreographer for the Super Hollywood Orchestra.
An investigation into her death is ongoing.