At least one person was killed and 10 others were injured when a large van struck pedestrians outside a mosque in London early Monday. Here’s what we know about the incident so far:
- Authorities in London are treating the incident as a terror attack. One man was arrested in the collision, but he has yet to be identified. He was taken to the hospital for a mental health evaluation.
- At least one person was killed at the scene of the incident. Eight others were being treated at various hospitals. Two others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
- Metropolitan Police said officers were on the scene within 10 minutes of the attack.
- Bystanders were able to hold the suspect at the scene before he was arrested. Witnesses said two other men fled the scene of the attack, but police said there was only one suspect.
- The streets were crowed because worshippers from the Muslim Welfare House were finishing Ramadan prayers.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May will chair an emergency session of the security Cabinet later Monday.
- London Mayor Sadiq Khan decried the incident as a “horrific terrorist attack.”