FILE - In this March 5, 2013 file photo, Moro National Liberation Front chairman Nur Misuari gestures during a press conference in suburban Taguig, south of Manila, Philippines. Abu Sayyaf extremists on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016, freed a Norwegian man kidnapped a year ago in the southern Philippines along with two Canadians who were later beheaded and a Filipino woman who has been released by the ransom-seeking militants, officials said. Kjartan Sekkingstad was freed in Patikul town in Sulu province and was eventually secured by rebels from the larger Moro National Liberation Front, which has a signed a peace deal with the government and helped negotiate his release, officials said. Sekkingstad, held in jungle captivity since being kidnapped last September, was to stay overnight at the house of Misuari in Sulu and then meet with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday, said Jesus Dureza, who advises the president on peace talks with insurgent groups. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila, File) (The Associated Press)
Image 2 of 3
Released Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad carries a backpack as he boards a plane to take him to Davao city for an audience with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016 on Jolo island, Sulu province in southern Philippines. Carrying a backpack with a bullet hole in a reminder of his near-death ordeal, Sekkingstad, freed by Abu Sayyaf extremists from a year of jungle captivity, described the nightmarish ordeal Sunday as "devastating," including the beheadings of his two fellow Canadian hostages. Sekkingstad was turned over Sunday to MNLF (Moro National Liberation Front) Chairman Nur Misuari, who in turn turned him over to Presidential adviser Jesus Dureza. (AP Photo/Nickee Butlangan) (The Associated Press)
Image 3 of 3
Released Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad, second right, stands next to Moro National Liberation Front Chairman Nur Misuari, right, after being turned over by ransom-seeking Abu Sayyaf extremists in Indanan township on Jolo island in southern Philippines Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016. Sekkingstad, who was kidnapped last year along with two Canadians and a Filipino, was released Saturday and was turned over Sunday to Misuari, who in turn turned him over to Presidential adviser Jesus Dureza. (AP Photo/Nickee Butlangan) (The Associated Press)
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine officials say Muslim rebels in talks with the government have turned over a Norwegian man freed by ransom-seeking Abu Sayyaf extremists, who also released three kidnapped Indonesians in the country's south.
The officials say Kjartan Sekkingstad was turned over by Moro National Liberation Front rebel leader Nur Misuari to presidential adviser Jesus Dureza in Sulu province Sunday. The rebels have signed a peace deal with the government and helped negotiate the hostage's freedom.
Tan says Dureza will accompany Sekkingstad, who was freed Saturday by Abu Sayyaf militants from a year of jungle captivity, to southern Davao city where the Norwegian will meet President Rodrigo Duterte. Two Canadians kidnapped with Sekkingstad were beheaded this year.
Tan says three Indonesian fishermen have also been freed by the Abu Sayyaf militants.