The Latest: Police now unclear if people ever held hostage

The Latest on Mississippi hostage standoff (all times local):

12:56 p.m.

Jackson police now say they are trying to figure out whether anyone was ever being held hostage in a house where they'd earlier believed a man was holding about a dozen people.

Chief Lee Vance calls the situation "bizarre."

Authorities went into the house after earlier saying only one person remained inside.

Vance said they found two people asleep and another two in the attic.

Police found two rifles, a handgun and some PCP. Police aren't sure who the drugs or weapons belong to.

Authorities received a call around 5 a.m. from someone inside saying they were being held hostage. When police arrived, someone inside saw the police and slammed the door.

People began emerging from the house in small groups over a few hours.

But Vance says the people later told police they weren't being held hostage after all.


9:30 a.m.

Police in Mississippi say another 6 hostages have been removed from a boarding house on the south side of Jackson, the state's capital city.

Jackson Police Chief Lee Vance says police believe all of the hostages are out of the house after authorities reported previously that the man had been holding about a dozen people at one point.

He says police and FBI negotiators continue to try to resolve the situation with the suspect, who was still inside the boarding house.

Vance said students at two nearby schools were not in danger from the standoff.

Vance said no injuries have been reported in the standoff.


9 a.m.

Jackson police are on the scene of a hostage situation on the city's south side.

Police Chief Lee Vance tells local media outlets 11 or 12 people were in the rooming house at the time that the hostage situation began about 5 a.m. Thursday.

Vance say police have rescued at least six people that were in the home.

No injuries have been reported.

Vance says police have identified the suspect, but are not yet releasing that information.

The chief says a 911 call came from someone that was being held against their will inside the home. He says an officer responded to the address and knocked on the front door the suspect answered the knock, but immediately slammed it shut.

Vance says an FBI negotiation team was called in to assist, but there has been no direct communication with the man.