PHOENIX – The Latest on charges being dropped in last summer's freeway shootings in Phoenix (all times local):
The prosecutor in the Phoenix freeway shootings investigation says he'll press ahead with the case despite dropping the charges against the suspect.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery refused to get into specifics at a Wednesday news conference when asked basic questions about the investigation. He declined to comment on numerous occasions, and said he has an ethical obligation to withhold key information about the case.
Lawyers for Leslie Merritt Jr. have called for the release of all previously sealed documents in the case.
Montgomery acknowledged intense public interest in the case but said that would not dictate a timeline in the ongoing investigation.
Prosecutors could refile charges against Merritt.
An Arizona prosecutor is expected to talk about last summer's freeway shootings in the Phoenix area at a news conference Wednesday.
Now that a judge has dismissed charges against the man who had been arrested, his attorneys are calling on the court to release all previously sealed documents.
Lawyers for Leslie Merritt Jr. said opening the documents to the public will further prove that their client is not the person accused of the shootings that caused panic on Phoenix-area freeways, where 11 vehicles were hit in August and September of 2015.
It's not clear what's in the sealed documents.
County Attorney Bill Montgomery was expected to discuss issues surrounding the case at a regularly scheduled morning news conference.