The Latest on two children who were fatally shot in separate incidents in Florida (all times local):

9:30 a.m.

Police in Tampa have released the name of the 17-month-old girl who died in a shooting at an apartment.

Investigators said in a news release on Monday that Amaya Shafi was shot on Sunday afternoon at the Cllipper Bay Apartments in Tampa.

According to the news release, her parents took her to a hospital, where she died a short time later. She was shot one time.

Police say no arrests have been made but an investigation continues.

No further details were immediately available.


8:20 a.m.

Investigators in Florida say a 4-year-old girl in Palm Beach County died after shooting herself with a gun she apparently found under a bed in her home.

The girl died Sunday night following the shooting in Riviera Beach, which is near West Palm Beach. On Monday morning, investigators announced they've arrested a 16-year-old and the girl's uncle.

Police tell news outlets that the gun discharged while Amirra Jacques was playing with it about 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

Police say the teenager then discarded the firearm. The uncle, Nathaniel Lowe, is charged with culpable negligence, tampering with evidence, grand theft of a firearm and possession of a firearm as a felon.

The teen is charged with culpable negligence, tampering with evidence, perjury and grand theft of a firearm.


6:51 a.m.

Police in Florida are investigating the fatal shootings of two young children on both sides of the state.

The shootings occurred Sunday at an apartment complex in Tampa and at a home in Riviera Beach in Palm Beach County.

Tampa police said in a news release that a 17-month-old child was shot at the Clipper Bay Apartments about 4:12 p.m. Sunday. The child later died. Investigators were interviewing family members late Sunday and said additional details wouldn't be available until Monday.

Riviera Beach police spokeswoman Rose Ann Brown told local news outlets that several people, including the mother, were inside the home Sunday evening when the 4-year-old girl was fatally shot.

Brown says investigators questioned several people but that others left immediately after the shooting.

No further details were immediately available.