The Latest: Chief: It's too soon to draw Tamir Rice parallel

The Latest on the fatal police shooting of a 13-year-old boy in Ohio (all times local):

12:35 p.m.

Police in Ohio are investigating another case in which a white policeman fatally shot a black boy who had a pellet gun, but Columbus' police chief says it's too soon to draw comparisons to the Cleveland death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice.

Chief Kim Jacobs said Thursday that investigators don't yet have enough facts about the Wednesday night death of 13-year-old Tyree King to know how it relates to other cases.

Police say his weapon looked real. Police say Tyree was shot in a confrontation in a Columbus alley after running from officers investigating a reported armed robbery.

There was no chase in Tamir's case. A caller reported someone pointing a gun at people near a recreation center. A rookie officer shot Tamir almost immediately after his police cruiser stopped nearby.


11:45 a.m.

Police say a 13-year-old boy who was fatally shot by an Ohio officer after a chase had a pellet gun that looks like a real police firearm.

He was shot in a Columbus alley around nightfall Wednesday. Police responded to the area on a report of an armed robbery and spotted three males that matched descriptions of the alleged robbers. Police say two of them fled and were chased into the alley, where the boy pulled the weapon from his waistband and was repeatedly shot by one officer.

The boy, Tyree King, died at a hospital. No one else was hurt.

Tyree was black. The officer is white and a nine-year veteran of the force.

Police Chief Kim Jacobs says after the shooting is investigated, a grand jury will consider whether charges are merited.


2:35 a.m.

Police in Ohio responding to a report of an armed robbery shot and killed a 13-year-old boy who they say pulled a gun from his waistband that was later determined to be a BB gun.

It happened Wednesday night in Columbus.

Police say when officers arrived on the scene, the victim told them that a group of males had approached him and demanded money. One of them reportedly had a gun.

Police say the officers saw three males matching the descriptions of the suspects and tried to speak with them, when two of them ran off. The officers followed them to an alley when police say a suspect pulled a gun from his waistband, and an officer shot him.

The suspect, later identified as Tyree King, was taken to a hospital, where he died.