The Latest: 2 injured in UT stabbings released from hospital

The Latest on the stabbing attack at the University of Texas (all times local):

11:15 a.m.

The University of Texas president says two of the students wounded in a stabbing attack on campus have been treated and released from hospitals while a third remains hospitalized.

Greg Fenves says the student who was fatally stabbed was a freshman named Harrison Brown. He says Brown was a talented musician who had not yet decided on a major.

The 21-year-old suspect, Kendrex J. White, was armed with a large hunting knife.

Witnesses described a sudden and seemingly random assault on strangers in the middle of the campus of one of the nation's largest universities.


11 a.m.

Authorities say the man suspected of fatally stabbing one student and wounding three others at the University of Texas was suffering from mental health troubles.

University Police Chief David Carter says that 21-year-old Kendrex J. White was recently involuntarily committed in another city. White was enrolled at the Austin campus.

Carter says the suspect was "obviously" suffering from some kind of mental difficulties. He did not elaborate.

The attack happened Monday in the middle of campus.


12: 15 a.m.

Police still aren't sure what prompted a University of Texas student to go on a stabbing rampage on the Austin campus, killing one person and seriously wounding three others.

The 21-year-old suspect, identified as Kendrex J. White, surrendered to police.

University police Chief David Carter said it would be "premature" to discuss the suspect's motive and "what was going through his mind."

He said the stabbings occurred within a one-block area as the attacker "calmly walked around the plaza." It was just a short walk from the administration building and the landmark clock tower that was the scene of a mass shooting in 1966.

University President Greg Fenves expressed condolences to the victims, saying it "breaks my heart that any of our students are touched by tragedy."