The Latest: 1 of 2 Texas cops hurt in attack out of hospital

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The latest on a gunfight at a Texas home that ended with two police officers wounded and a suspect dead (all times local):

11:20 a.m.

One of two police officers who were shot while responding to a reported suicide at a house in Fort Worth, Texas, has been released from the hospital.

Probationary Officer Ray Azucena was released from John Peter Smith Hospital early Saturday after being treated for a minor chest wound. His field training officer, Xavier Serrano, is at the hospital in stable condition. He was wounded in the upper torso, arms and shoulder despite wearing body armor.

Officer Daniel Segura says Serrano was undergoing X-rays Saturday to determine if he needs further surgery.

The officers were wounded while seeking a witness to a shooting that left a man dead in his home. The officers were directed to a backyard shed, from which a gunman started firing on them. The gunman later was found dead inside the shed, but Segura says it's not yet clear if he died from a police bullet or his own.

Authorities haven't released the names of either of the dead men or said if they were related.

Segura says the motive for the shooting is still unclear, but he said there have been at least two calls for disturbances involving a father and son at the address over the past two years, as well as one in 2012.


6:30 a.m.

Police say a suspect is dead after shooting and wounding two officers who responded to a reported suicide at a Fort Worth, Texas, house.

The shooting happened about 8:30 p.m. Friday. Fort Worth police say responding officers initially found a man unresponsive with a gunshot wound to the head.

The officers were subsequently told that a witness was located in a backyard shed and were shot after opening the shed door. Police returned fire, a standoff ensued and police later confirmed the unidentified suspect was dead.

Police identified the injured officers as probationary officer Ray Azucena and field training officer Xavier Serrano.

Authorities say Azucena underwent surgery after being shot in the upper torso and extremities, and is expected to recover. Serrano was saved from serious injury by body armor.