Texas woman survived for days on pond water after car accident

A Texas grandmother, in a horrific crash that trapped her inside her car for two days, survived two days by soaking her T-shirt in a nearby pond to get water.

Wanda Mobley, 75, swerved to avoid something on a remote highway and second later was trapped inside her wrecked car in a ravine in North Texas. Mobley said she spent hours hearing the occasional vehicle pass about her but she was too weak and scared to crawl through the brushy area along Highway 183 for help.

Mobley was surviving on soda and pond water as the temperatures went into the high 90s in the daytime and plummeted into the low 70s at night with rain.

"From where the road was, nobody could see the car," Mobley told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "The windshield was cracked big time, but none of it (the glass) was out. I pulled the rearview mirror off the windshield, pulled big holes in it until I could get out."

The accident occurred Friday when she was about three hours into a 300-mile road trip to a family reunion in Oklahoma. It wasn’t until Sunday that a signal from her cellphone led her frantic relatives to an area near Seymour, Texas, about 140 miles south of her from in Brownwood.

Mobley — who fractured her back in the accident — was listed in good condition Tuesday at United Regional Health Care System in nearby Wichita Falls, according to hospital spokeswoman Kim Maddin.

"I'm feeling better," said Mobley, who has four children, eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. "Whenever they found me, I was pretty weak."

Relatives reported her missing when she didn’t show up to the party in McAlester, Oklahoma, and soon began to help in the search. Wesley Finley, who is married to one of Mobley's granddaughters, said he saw a highway sign knocked down in the area and a sign indicating a corner.

"I went back to where I knew that sign was knocked out. Got out, went and looked and saw the car parts, the bumper, the horn, the mirrors," Finley told the AP in a phone interview from the hospital. "So I go back to my car, drive down the highway to where I could see down the ravine."

Finley spotted Mobley’s car, which was sitting on its side, then summoned emergency help as he and others converged on the crash site.

"When I seen her, I hollered at her — and she answered me," the 32-year-old Finley said.

Mobley, who hopes to soon be discharged to a rehabilitation unit, said she had long been comfortable driving on her own — but not anymore. She also said she never gave up hope.

"When I landed down there Friday, when I finally settled down there a little bit, I told the Lord, 'If you want me to die take me now, don't make me suffer,'" Mobley said. "I knew I was going to be rescued. I just never even thought of anything else."

The Associated Press contributed to this report