NEW YORK – Panicked passengers stampeded in a New York subway station after an arcing cable set off flames and smoke.
The fire department says one person was taken to a hospital with minor injuries after the mayhem unfolded around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday on the Upper West Side.
Bryan Murphy tells the New York Post that he saw sparks and a "ball of fire."
He says people started running, screaming and falling.
The Bronx teacher added in a Facebook post that he got caught in a cluster of people near the stairwell and couldn't move. He said he feared he would die.
A Twitter post described belongings scattered on the train platform as people fled.
MTA spokesman Shams Tarek says the cable's insulation failed and that caused sparks, smoke and popping sounds.
Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com