PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A Brown University student has been taken to a hospital and one floor of a dormitory was evacuated after a mercury spill on campus.
A university spokesman says an 18-year-old student called campus public safety officials at about 10:30 p.m. Monday to report that she had broken a thermometer and a small amount of mercury had leaked out onto the floor. The student reported a burning sensation on her hand.
A state Department of Emergency Management hazardous materials unit responded and evacuated the fourth floor of Camplin Hall.
Students were allowed back in their rooms at about 2 a.m. Tuesday.
The condition of the student taken to the hospital was not immediately known, but officials say it was precautionary.