Phoenix firefighters rescue boy who got stuck in chimney while playing with friends

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Phoenix firefighters have rescued a 13-year-old boy who got stuck in a chimney Wednesday evening.

Capt. Ardell Deliz says the boy was playing with his friends on the roof of an apartment complex's community center in the 2400 block of Hazelwood on the city's north side about 7 p.m. when he fell into the chimney.

Deliz says the boy's friends called 911 and their parents, who were unable to get him out. Deliz says the boy fell about 5 feet into the chimney.

Shortly afterward, the fire department arrived, and the teen was pulled from the chimney by crews who lowered a rope to him and got him to wrap it around his arms.

Deliz says the boy had minor scrapes and bruises from falling into the chimney but no serious injuries.

Deliz says this is the third time this year that the fire department has had to pull people out of chimneys. She says the other two occasions were of adults locked out of their homes who tried to get in through the chimney.