NEW ORLEANS – The administrator of economic loss claims resulting from the 2010 BP oil spill says he expects about $520 million in seafood industry claims to be paid in the Gulf of Mexico states as early as next month.
Patrick Juneau says the disbursements will essentially close out the $2.3 billion seafood compensation program arising from the spill.
Juneau administers payments from a 2012 settlement BP reached with people and businesses that claimed economic harm after the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion. That disaster killed 11 workers and spewed millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf.
The seafood claims Juneau discussed in a Thursday interview are part of a more than $9 billion in settlement money approved so far for a variety of people and businesses affected by the spill.