NY dog dies in fire a month after river rescue
NEW YORK – A German shepherd who was pulled from the frigid waters of New York's Hudson River last month after falling off her owner's yacht has died in a fire.
Chloe died early Friday in a fire on the same yacht at Chelsea Piers on Manhattan's West Side.
The dog's owner, Mark Stoss, was treated for smoke inhalation and hypothermia. He said he tried desperately to get to the dog but was overcome by flames.
"I couldn't get to her. I couldn't," a grieving Mark Stoss told the Daily News in the emergency room of Bellevue Hospital.
The 42-year-old marina resident said he awoke to black smoke at about 2 a.m. Fire spread through the 42-foot catamaran, called the Quid Pro Quo.
Investigators suspect a faulty electric heater may have started the blaze.
In early January, Chloe made headlines when she fell into the river and was trapped under a dock, whimpering and paddling to stay afloat.
A police scuba diver pulled her from the icy waters.