The Navy medic suspected of writing a bomb threat that forced a California high school evacuation Wednesday has surrendered to authorities, Master Sgt. Mark Oliva, a spokesman from Camp Pendleton confirms to Fox News.
The suspect, Daniel P. Morgan, 22, was stationed at nearby Camp Pendleton, but was considered AWOL after not showing up to work Wednesday morning. Authorities immediately searched his home located off base and say they discovered the writings that indicate that he may have placed some explosive devices in or around the San Clemente High School, the intended target.
At around 8:45 a.m. local time the alleged bomb threat was discovered by Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton, the base said in a statement. The camp said it is working with authorities on the investigation.
No charges against Morgan have been filed yet as authorities continue with the investigation.
While authorities did not find any explosives on an initial sweep of the school, and nothing had been stolen from Camp Pendleton, they said they are taking the threats very seriously.
Around noon Wednesday Jim Armorino, a spokesman from the Orange County Sherrif's Department said that the campus was secure. Students have since been released to return home.
“He could have access to explosive devices," Amormino told Fox News.
"We have every available bomb-sniffing dog in the county here searching room by room," he said.
The entire student body was evacuated to the stadium after it was determined safe. The school has 3,200 students. The military base is a couple of miles from the high school.
San Clemente High School Principal George Duarte issued a statement Wednesday commending the efforts of everyone involved as well as assuring students and parents that school would be in session Thursday, following the all clear giving to the campus by law enforcement.
It was unclear if Morgan had any prior relationship with the high school.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.