MIDDLETOWN, Ohio – Fire officials in Ohio said a man hitting a punching bag accidentally knocked out his gas meter, causing a natural gas leak that evacuated nearby homes. Authorities in Middletown said when the unidentified man struck the meter Tuesday evening, it fell off the wall and gas spewed out.
Deputy Fire Chief Tom Snively said it was "extremely dangerous situation." He said the house could have blown up and at least three neighboring homes could have seen major damage in the community about 25 miles north of Cincinnati. People living along two streets in the area were told to leave their homes.
One person was taken to a hospital complaining of nausea. Snively says it took Duke Energy about an hour to dig underground to where it could turn off the gas.
Information from: Journal, http://wwww.middletownjournal.com