KUTZTOWN, Pa. – A freshman dormitory at Kutztown University was evacuated after 19 people became sick from fumes that rose from the building's basement.
Officials say 12 students, three custodians, two firefighters and two police officers were treated on-scene at Deatrick Hall. They all complained of throat irritation, dryness and coughing.
University Relations director Matthew Santos says custodians first reported symptoms around 2:45 p.m. Sunday after they encountered an "unknown substance" while removing trash bags from the dorm's basement.
The Berks County Department of Emergency Services' hazardous materials team investigated the incident after the building was closed.
Following testing, the dorm was deemed safe to re-enter at 6 p.m.
Santos says most students weren't inconvenienced by the building's closure because freshman activities were planned throughout the day.
No one was seriously injured.