CENTRALIA, Wash. – A Centralia resident sparked a small fire in an apartment on Monday while trying to kill cockroaches with a homemade flamethrower, fire officials said.
Fire crews were called to the apartment on Monday morning after receiving a report of a commercial structure fire, KOMO-TV reported.
By the time firefighters arrived, the resident had extinguished the flames. No one was injured.
A preliminary investigation found that the resident was using bug spray and a lighter to create a flamethrower for killing cockroaches. That sparked the fire.
It's not clear whether any cockroaches were actually killed in the process.