NEWARK, N.J. – Federal prosecutors have asked a judge to deny a request by media organizations including The Associated Press to make public a list of unindicted coconspirators in the George Washington Bridge lane-closing case.
The media organizations went to court last month seeking the list of people prosecutors believe were involved, but not charged, in the conspiracy to close traffic lanes for political retribution in New Jersey. The list had been submitted by prosecutors to defense lawyers and the judge.
Prosecutors said in a filing Tuesday that the government often doesn't charge every individual whom there is evidence to suggest was involved, including if there isn't enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said in a separate filing that confidential and redacted documents also shouldn't be released.
Information from: NJ.com, http://www.nj.com