Detectives search Florida home of convicted killer for clues in Molly Bish murder case

Massachusetts detectives are searching the Florida trailer home of a convicted killer possibly linked to the murder of 16-year-old Molly Bish more than a decade ago.

Authorities are looking for any clues that might implicate Rodney Stanger in the abduction and murder of Bish, who disappeared in June 2000 from a Massachusetts pond where she worked as a lifeguard.

Stanger, 64, who was living in Southbridge, Mass., at the time of Bish's disappearance, abruptly moved to Summerfield, Fla., a few months after Bish was kidnapped from Comnis Pond in Warren. Her remains were found in 2003.

Stanger is currently serving a 25-year prison term in Florida for the 2008 stabbing death of his live-in girlfriend, Chrystal Morrison.

The search of Stanger's dilapidated Florida trailer comes after Morrison's sister, Bonney Kiernan, traveled there in June and uncovered possible evidence in the Bish case from inside the home.

More On This...

The items, which were seized by police, include a film showing a blond girl stripping then getting her neck snapped, according to local reports, and a photo of Stanger that bears a striking resemblance to sketches of a suspicious man seen hanging around the pond where Bish worked.

Kiernan also found a wallet belonging to Stanger that was hidden inside a kitchen cabinet, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reported. In it was a Massachusetts Firearms Identification Card, with a photo of Stanger that looks eerily similar to police sketches of a mystery man seen near Comins Pond the day before Bish vanished. The FID card was renewed just two months before Bish's disappearance.

Kiernan also found girls' hair accessories, keys to a previously unknown safety deposit box and Stanger's birth certificate, which listed Warren, Mass., Bish's hometown, as his birthplace.

WFXT reports that detectives with the Massachusetts State Police have traveled to Marion County, Fla., to search the abandoned trailer for any clues in the Bish case. They are also planning to re-interview Stanger, according to the station.

"I don't know what changed for them," Detective Rhonda Stroup of Marion County told the station. "I am not privy to their information, but they had a lead or something happen in Massachusetts ... they were able to come here. They asked me to prepare a search warrant for a safe deposit box in Dunellon and a search warrant for this house."

Investigators have said that the abduction of Bish took less than 8 minutes. The teenager was dropped off at the rural pond in Warren, Mass., by her mother, Magi, on the morning of June 27, 2000. When swimmers arrived a few minutes later, the only signs of Bish were her water bottle, sandals, a police radio and an opened first aid kit.

After the largest search for a missing person in Massachusetts state history, Bish's scattered remains were discovered in 2003 about 5 miles from her family's home.

Click for more from's Cristina Corbin contributed to this report.