College exchange student fell to death from Denver hotel balcony after eating marijuana cookie

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Denver coroner says an exchange student from Wyoming fell to his death after eating a marijuana cookie, the first reported death linked to marijuana since the drug became legal for recreational use in Colorado in January.

Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba died after falling from the balcony of a Denver hotel on March 11. An autopsy report released Wednesday says he died from the fall but also lists "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor in his death.

Officials at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., say Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, started taking classes there as an exchange student in January.

Police have not released the findings of their investigation.