Brothers charged for 'scaring the hell out of people' in fake kidnapping in Washington state

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Twin brothers who staged the fake kidnapping of their 4-year-old nephew at a Sequim (skwim), Washington, park were charged Monday with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Previously City Attorney Craig Ritchie said "scaring the hell out of people is not a crime." But he reconsidered after reading the police report about the April 13 incident that alarmed onlookers at Carrie Blake Park.

He told the Peninsula Daily News (http://bit.ly/1ktUkcH) the charge is justified by the number of people who were frightened and disturbed when men in ski masks grabbed the boy and drove off in a van.

The 25-year-old brothers, Jason and Jeremy Holden, said they were making a video to promote child abduction awareness.

The incident drew national attention and the brothers apologized April 16 on NBC's "Today" show.

___

Information from: Peninsula Daily News, http://www.peninsuladailynews.com