6 shot, 3 dead in Kentucky neighborhood

A pair of shootings in a Kentucky neighborhood have left three dead and three hospitalized, while police reportedly have no motive or suspects in the incidents.

Louisville Metro Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell said two bodies were found at a house in a western Louisville neighborhood where four people had been shot.

As police investigated, onlookers and reporters dove for cover when several shots rang out.

Louisville Police Chief Steve Conrad told the Louisville Courier-Journal that two woman began arguing behind the police tape at the scene, before one woman pulled out a gun and shot the other.

A cop near the scuffle responded by firing at least one shot at the alleged shooter. One woman died at the scene, while the alleged shooter was taken to a local hospital in unknown condition, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports.

The officer, who was not immediately identified, will be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation, police said.

Emotions were running high during the second shooting, but there appears to be no connection between the slayings, Conrad said.

"We had people at the scene yelling," said Conrad, who spent his day in the neighborhood west of downtown working with officers in that precinct before the shootings. "I don't know if that played a role or not. This level of violent behavior is unacceptable."

Tekeya Anderson identified the female victim in the second shooting as her cousin, but her identity was not immediately confirmed by police.

"I guess she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and she got shot," Anderson said. "She came down here and she got shot."

The shootings made the day the bloodiest in Louisville since at least July 5, 2011, when four people were killed, and Oct. 6, 2008, when a mother stabbed her two children, then killed herself on the same day two other homicides took place.

After the second shooting, police ran down the street, and one officer took a shotgun from his car and ran behind a house where police had been investigating. Two people were placed in handcuffs.

The victims' identities haven't been released, and police didn't release any information about what may have happened.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.