Suarez scores twice to lead Liverpool past Sunderland

Luis Suarez announced his return to the Premier League in style on Sunday, scoring two goals to help Liverpool to a 3-1 win over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

The Uruguayan was playing in his first league match since his 10-game ban at the end of last season for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

And after Daniel Sturridge opened the scoring in the 28th minute for the visitors, Suarez scored in the 36th to double the advantage.

Emanuele Giaccherini pulled a goal back for the Black Cats in the 52nd, but Suarez sealed the win with his second goal shortly before the final whistle, taking Liverpool into second place.

Sunderland was playing under interim manager Kevin Ball after the firing of Paolo Di Canio earlier this week, and Sebastian Larsson nearly gave the home side the lead when he curled a free kick off the crossbar midway through the opening half.

Sturridge scored with his shoulder a few minutes later as he redirected Steven Gerrard's corner kick into the net from close range, and the former Chelsea man turned provider eight minutes later with a nice set up for Suarez, who applied the finishing touch.

Giaccherini scored on the rebound in the 52nd to hand his team a lifeline, but Sturridge and Suarez combined once more on the break to put the result away with Sturridge getting to the end line and setting up a first-time finish for Suarez at the back post.

Norwich City 1, Stoke City 0

Stoke-on-Trent, England - A first-half goal from Jonny Howson was enough to lift Norwich City to a 1-0 win over Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday.

Ryan Bennett threatened to give the Canaries the lead after nine minutes when his sliding effort from a corner kick hit the crossbar, while he followed up with a rebound attempt that was saved by Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

The opener came in the 34th when Norwich midfielder Anthony Pilkington won the ball and set up a shot for Howson, whose effort from outside the penalty area appeared to surprise the diving Begovic, who was unable to keep the ball out.

Stoke attempted to find the equalizer in the second half but Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy wasn't overly troubled.