MEXICO CITY (AP) Soccer officials said Thursday they still intend to hold the centennial edition of the Copa America tournament in the United States next year.
A meeting in Mexico's capital on Thursday was attended by various members of CONCACAF - the governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean - and the South American federation CONMEBOL.
However, the absence from the meeting of representatives from the United States Soccer Federation could put in doubt playing the event in that country.
CONCACAF communications and marketing director Jurgen Mainka said ''several steps'' remain to finalize the tournament.
Mainka declined to take questions from reporters and did not specify what still needed to be done.
The event has been in jeopardy since the FIFA scandal earlier this year when the U.S. Department of Justice issued indictments for several top soccer officials from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, and executives for a sports marketing company planning the 100th anniversary tournament.
The tournament was originally scheduled to take place June 3-26 and was to feature 10 South American teams, with stars like Argentina's Lionel Messi, and six teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Reports have suggested the event could be moved to Mexico or elsewhere in Latin America, perhaps with a modified format.