BOSTON – Boston and IndyCar officials are keeping the door open after a plan for a race in the city this year collapsed.
Mayor Marty Walsh and Mark Miles, CEO of IndyCar's parent company, said Thursday they're working to bring a race to Boston in the future.
The demise of what would have been the city's first IndyCar race came on the heels of the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision last year to withdraw Boston as its nominee for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
The Grand Prix of Boston had been planned for Labor Day weekend, but IndyCar organizers pulled out last Friday after months of planning.
They said the city made unreasonable demands. But Walsh's administration said organizers were "unwilling or unable" to meet the requirements of holding an event of its size.