Helu's late TD run helps Redskins outlast Bears

Landover, MD (SportsNetwork.com) - Roy Helu's third rushing touchdown of the contest, a three-yard score coming with 45 seconds left in regulation, lifted the Washington Redskins to a 45-41 victory over the Chicago Bears in an offensive showcase on Sunday.

Helu finished with 41 yards on 11 carries, with Alfred Morris totaling 95 yards on 19 totes. Jordan Reed ended with a game-best 134 yards with one score on nine receptions and Aldrick Robinson added a 45-yard TD catch.

Robert Griffin III completed 18-of-29 passes for 298 yards, two touchdowns and one interception for the Redskins (2-4), who won their second in the last three outings thanks to a season-high in points. Griffin added 84 yards on 11 carries for the victors.

"This was definitely the most emotional comeback for me in the NFL. It was a great team win," Griffin admitted.

Matt Forte also rushed for three scores, part of a 91-yard, 16-carry effort for the Bears (4-3), who have dropped three of four and gave up 40-plus points for the second time in the last four contests.

Jay Cutler departed in the second quarter with a groin injury and did not return, operating at 3-of-8 efficiency for 28 yards and an interception. Josh McCown finished 14-of-20 for 204 yards and a TD pass to Martellus Bennett which put Chicago ahead inside of four minutes to play.

"I'm just hopeful that it's not too serious," Bears head coach Marc Trestman said of Cutler's injury. "This bye comes at a great time because he'll have a chance to heal up."

Alshon Jeffery totaled 105 yards on four grabs, Brandon Marshall added 75 yards on six receptions in defeat.

Devin Hester returned a punt 81 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, giving him 19 total TD returns in his career -- tied for the most in NFL history with Deion Sanders.

The winning drive began on the hosts' 20, then a defensive holding call and 26-yard completion to Reed put Washington into Bears territory. Morris ran for nine yards on 3rd-and-1 from the Chicago 28 for a fresh set of downs, then a 10-yard Griffin-to-Reed strike gave the Redskins 1st-and-goal at the three. Helu then went off left tackle into the end zone and Washington led 45-41.

Two short passing gains to Forte which set the Bears up just shy of midfield preceded McCown's sack on the final play of the contest.

Washington's first drive of the contest was successful, with Kai Forbath booting a 38-yarder.

Robbie Gould countered with a 47-yard make midway through the quarter. On the first play of the next series, Charles Tillman picked off Griffin and returned the ball 28 yards to the Washington 10. Two plays later, Forte reached the end zone from two yards away and a 10-3 Chicago lead.

"It was a dream for me to play against him. He did get me, but I got him back with the TD," Griffin said of Tillman, who attended the same Texas high school."

The 'Skins evened the score when Helu rumbled into the end zone for a 14- yard TD early in the second quarter, yet, one play later, Brian Orakpo stepped in front of a Cutler pass and returned it 29 yards to make it 17-10 for the hosts.

Hester later posted his milestone return and the Bears drew even with 5:52 before the break, but the hosts ended the half up 24-17 after Griffin floated a ball to the corner of the end zone for Reed for a 3-yard strike.

Gould pushed a 34-yard attempt inches wide of the right upright on the Bears' first drive of the third quarter, but Chicago forged a 24-24 deadlock after Forte broke loose for a 50-yard run to paydirt on the visitors' next series.

Helu's 3-yard run capped an 83-yard series and gave the hosts a seven-point edge heading into the fourth, but Forte crossed the goal line for the third time on a 6-yard jaunt for a 31-31 game four plays into the final quarter.

Robinson's 45-yard catch-and-run gave the Redskins a 38-31 edge with 10:55 left in regulation, and Chicago responded just over two minutes later with a 49-yard make from Gould.

"I was pleased with our drives; we put together some good drives and got into the end zone," McCown said. "That's what we expect from the quarterback position here: to move the team and get into the end zone."

On the ensuing series, an illegal formation call on the Bears wiped out a go- ahead score, then personal foul call against Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather for gave Chicago 1st-and-goal from the 7. The Bears moved ahead 41-38 on the next play when McCown hit Bennett with 3:57 to go.

Game Notes

The game was the second-highest scoring contest in the NFL this season, eclipsed only by Denver's 51-48 win in Dallas two weeks ago ... The 86 combined points were the most in one game between these teams over 47 meetings in the regular season or playoffs ... The 41 points marked the most for the Bears in a loss ... Hester posted his first return since Nov. 13, 2011 against the Detroit Lions ... Forte became the first Bears back to rush for three TDs in one game since Rashaan Salaam in 1995 ... The clubs combined for 858 yards of total offense, 499 to the Redskins.