FOX Sports NFL Insiders' latest news
FOX Sports NFL Insiders give you the scoop on the latest news from around the gridiron. Check back here throughout the day for reports from Jay Glazer, Alex Marvez, Mike Garafolo and Peter Schrager.
Wednesday (Aug. 21) - Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith -- suspended Wednesday for two preseason games and the regular-season opener for swinging a helmet at Miami Dolphins right guard Richie Incognito -- has appealed. The appeal will be heard Thursday, a source old FOX Sports Insider Alex Marvez. (8:21 p.m. ET)
- Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee agreed Wednesday to a six-year contract extension, his agent Mike McCartney announced on Twitter. FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez reports it's a six-year deal worth $7 million annually that could raise to $8.5 million annually through play-time incentives. (6:18 p.m. ET)
- Jacksonville TE Marcedes Lewis (calf) won't play in Saturday night's preseason game against Philadelphia, Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley announced. (1:57 p.m. ET)
- Punter Ray Guy (Raiders) and defensive end Claude Humphrey (Eagles/Falcons) are the two senior nominees for 2014 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction, FOX Sports NFL insider Alex Marvez confirmed. Guy could become the first punter inducted into the Hall. Voting will be held Feb. 1, 2014. (1:46 p.m. ET)
- T Jason Smith was released Wednesday by New Orleans, Saints head coach Sean Payton announced. Smith was the No. 2 overall selection in the 2009 NFL draft by St. Louis. (1:35 p.m. ET)
- Bears linebacker Jon Bostic was fined $21,000 on Wednesday for a hit on San Diego wide receiver Mike Willie in last Thursday's preseason game, FOX Sports NFL insider Alex Marvez has confirmed. The league ruled Bostic illegally hit a defenseless receiver (Willie) with his helmet. Bostic wasn't penalized on the play. (12:31 p.m. ET).
- FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports the Cardinals have agreed in principle to a one-year deal for former Dolphins kicker Dan Carpenter. Arizona has veteran Jay Feely on the roster. (11:11 a.m. ET)
Tuesday (Aug. 20) - Ex-Buffalo kicker Rian Lindell agreed to a contract Tuesday night with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team source told FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez. The Bucs want to provide competition for first-year kicker Derek Dimke, who is 5-for-5 on field goals in preseason games but has never appeared in a regular-season contest. (10:40 p.m. ET).
- The Buffalo Bills announced the signing of free safety Jairus Byrd to a one-year franchise tender. According to FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez, the franchise tag tender was $6.9 million for Byrd. (9:31 p.m. ET)
- No final decision has been made on punishment for Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith after he swung a helmet at Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, but Smith will be suspended for at least the team's two remaining preseason games and one regular season game, according to FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer. (6:34 p.m. ET).
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bringing in ex-Buffalo Bills kicker Rian Lindell for a tryout Thursday, a team source told FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez. Ex-Cowboys kicker David Buehler also will be trying out, FOX Sports first reported Monday. Veteran kicker Lawrence Tynes has missed almost the entire preseason for Tampa Bay because of a toe injury. Lindell was released Monday. (1:20 p.m. ET)
- An MRI on Washington Redskins QB Kirk Cousins' injured foot was negative, a source tells FOX Sports NFL insider Alex Marvez. Cousins, who was hurt Monday night against Pittsburgh, will be back for the Sept. 9 season-opener against Philadelphia and might play in Washington's preseason finale at Tampa Bay (12:58 p.m. ET).
Monday (Aug. 19) - An exclusive video obtained by FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer shows an altercation where Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith swings his helmet at Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (6:30 p.m. ET).
- A source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo Redskins QB Kirk Cousins suffered a mid-foot sprain to the Lisfranc joint in Monday's game against the Steelers. (3:51 p.m. ET).
- Barry Sanders also told FOX Sports NFL Insider Peter Schrager: "Adrian Peterson, in my opinion, is the best player in the NFL today at any position. I think that he will be the first running back to rush for 2000 yards multiple times in his career." (2:28 p.m. ET)
- The NFLPA is expected to file a grievance on behalf of former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez because team did not pay an $82,000 workout bonus, FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports. (1:47 p.m. ET).
- Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz is listed as day to day after leaving Sunday's game against the Colts with a bruised heel, FOX Sports NFL Insider Peter Schrager reports. His status for Saturday's game against the Jets is uncertain. (11:43 a.m. ET)
- Denver Broncos LB Von Miller facing possible six-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. But suspension "could have been worse" at one point, source says. (10:22 a.m. ET).
- Jaguars will release WR Mohamed Massaquoi on Monday, a source told FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. Massaquoi, a former second-round pick, signed a two-year deal with the team as a free agent in the spring. (8:31 a.m. ET)
Sunday (Aug. 18) - Initial tests on Giants center David Baas indicate he suffered a sprained MCL in his knee in Sunday's preseason game against the Colts and will miss 3-6 weeks, sources told FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. (10:54 p.m. ET)
- Jets DL/LB Quinton Coples will undergo a procedure on Tuesday to repair a right ankle injury, the team announced. Coples suffered a hairline fracture and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks, a source told FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. (8:02 p.m. ET)
- Medical tests revealed Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey suffered a left foot sprain and wide receiver Wes Welker a mild right ankle sprain in Saturday's 40-10 loss to Seattle, FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez reports. There is no immediate timetable for their return but neither player is expected to miss significant playing time. (4:36 p.m. ET)
- Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller will miss the rest of the season after injuring his knee in Saturday night's preseason game, FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez reports. (11:20 a.m. ET).
- Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel had a successful minor surgical procedure on his left knee early Sunday, Fox Sports NFL Insider Peter Schrager reports. He will not be on crutches and is expected to return to the field in 2 to 4 weeks. (9:59 a.m. ET).